Each summer we make our popular Rhubarb Mojito soap… inspired by a favourite patio drink we love to enjoy! It is minty, citrusy and full of summer flavour. We make rhubarb syrup once in the early summer and one jar is enough to last us the summer. Often overlooked, rhubarb is a delightful addition that adds a tangy zing and a touch of sophistication to the classic mojito. Read on as we explore the joys of rhubarb, unveil our delicious rhubarb mojito recipe, and even learn how to create your very own rhubarb syrup.
Rhubarb is a perennial vegetable that was brought over to our farm with our homesteading ancestors, likely with the roots carefully wrapped up as they traveled over from Europe. The plant I still have in my garden today, has been split and lasting through at least five generations now- likely longer! I love the connection to the past that this heirloom plant has in my garden. Although they commonly used the plant to make preserves, muffins, cakes, or pies… I also like to enjoy it in a summer mocktail! And of course… SOAP!
The Nutritional Wonders of Rhubarb:
Before we get creative in the kitchen, let's take a moment to appreciate the nutritional benefits tucked within those vibrant rhubarb stalks. Beyond its mouth-puckering sourness and stunning ruby hues, rhubarb is highly nutritious and packs a punch when it comes to vitamins and minerals. This garden gem contains vitamins K, C, calcium, potassium, and even fiber, making it a valuable addition to your diet, and can you imagine the benefits to your skin with our soap too! So indulge your senses while fueling your body with this versatile superfood!
Rhubarb Mojito Recipe:
Let's get down to business and unveil the showstopper – our fantastic Rhubarb Mojito recipe. This flavorful libation perfectly balances the rhubarb's tartness with hints of sweetness, all brought together with the tantalizing aroma of mint and the refreshing fizz of sparkling water.
- 2 ounces of white rum (exclude to make it a mocktail)
- 1 ounce of fresh lime juice
- 1 ounce of rhubarb syrup (recipe below)
- 6-8 fresh mint leaves
- Sparkling water
- Lime wedges and fresh mint sprigs for garnish
- Muddle the mint leaves at the bottom of a glass to release their aromatic oils.
- Add rhubarb syrup, lime juice, and rum to the glass.
- Fill the glass with ice cubes until almost full.
- Give it a gentle stir to marry the flavors.
- Top it off with sparkling water.
- Garnish with fresh mint and lime wedges. Voila! Your Rhubarb Mojito is ready to be savored!
Creating Your Rhubarb Syrup:
Now, let's unveil the secret to the perfect rhubarb mojito – homemade rhubarb syrup. This easy-to-make condiment not only elevates your cocktails but also adds a delightful tang to desserts, pancakes, or even drizzled over ice cream. Here's how to create this versatile elixir:
- 4 cups of chopped rhubarb stalks
- 1 cup of water
- 1 cup of granulated sugar
- In a medium saucepan, add the rhubarb, water, and sugar.
- Bring the mixture to a gentle boil over medium-high heat.
- Reduce the heat and simmer for about 15-20 minutes or until the rhubarb is soft and tender.
- Remove from heat and allow it to cool slightly.
- Strain the mixture through a fine-mesh sieve, gently pressing to extract as much syrup as possible.
- Store the syrup in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to two weeks. (I often go longer).
Rhubarb isn't just a delightful garden addition or a secret ingredient in grandma's pies – it's a versatile powerhouse that can transform your cocktails (and soap!) into conversation starters. So shake up your next gathering with the tangy intrigue of a Rhubarb Mojito and let your taste buds do the talking. Remember to experiment, have fun, and discover the joy of incorporating this underappreciated ingredient into your mixology adventures. You can then finish off your day by going into your shower and using our rhubarb mojito soap!